not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

An Extra Cup of Coffee

Today I'm treating myself to a second cup of coffee (americano*), at 6pm. I deserve it. What a great day. Woke up this morning and hung with Michele for a bit. Had a few laughs thanks to Shawn's emails. He keeps me updated on the jersey/philly hap's with photos. Last night he stayed at our friend Tim and Liz's place in Philly -- so today's photos were of their kids Jack Peter and Steele. Very cute, and funny. I even got to talk to Jack Peter for a few minutes via Skype. He told me all about his new trucks (he's obsessed with trucks) and then told me to have a good surf. Ha. Ate a tortilla with some beans and tomato and then went for a surf with Les and Brett. Les is a funny, funny, funny, FUNNY guy. I always know I'm in for a good laugh when I hang out with him - especially when you add his son, Adam, into the equation. The banter that goes on between these two would make a grown man blush, but truly (though they would never admit it) they are two softies - gentleman to the core. Every day I get more and more comfortable with Esterillos and the Soda Mary crew, and every day I fall more and more in love with this part of Costa Rica. I really wish that Shawn didn't have to be responsible and have a job - because I would be perfectly content to stay here until summer started up in Jersey. Dominical was great last year. Last year it was just what I needed. Last year there was no where else that I wanted to be. But this year - I'm happy here, I need to be here, and there's no where else right now that I'd rather be. The draw to Dominical this year is my dad, paulie and the waves. As for the 'lifestyle' and attitude though, this is where it's at! I wrote something the other day - basically about how I always feel this way - just completely absorbing what I'm involved in at that very moment. It's called 'until tomorrow'. Not a song (well, atleast not yet...?), just a poem.

Until Tomorrow:

temporary.
everything feels so temporary.

living in the moment -
i only want to be where i am (at this moment)

i only want to feel whatever it is i am feeling (at this moment)

completely at this moment. right at this moment.

until i dont want to feel it anymore


i want to live in right now - until tomorrow

i want to love and breathe and hurt right now

until tomorrow

until tomorrow brings me something new
or perhaps something the same

regardless - it will be tomorrows' day, tomorrow

but for now, i just want today


i cannot say what i want tomorrow
i only know what i want today

everything else is just temporary

until tomorrow.


After surfing with the oh-so-much-fun--makin-me-feel-at-home-all-the-time Soda Mary crew we headed back to the house. On the way back I ran into Jeni, my fire-throwing-friend. She said that she had some 'practice' fire throwers and was headed to the beach if I wanted a lesson. On the way we stopped at Low-Tide Lounge for a burger. BAH, yes, another burger. Two days in a row. But goddamn, they are so good. Again - with bacon and avocado. MMM. Les treated me, so I owe him a lunch. Then Jeni bought a round. I've been drinking Imperial Light, poured into a salt-rimmed glass with lime. MmMmM so good. Then I headed to la playa for my lesson. I started out awful, but got the hang of it rather quickly. Though there was no fire, I heated up quickly and had to cool down with a swim in the beautiful pacific. When I got back to Soda I showed off my new skills to the boys. Brett took these photos:

We decided that life is short, and the waves were still fun and ridable, so we all paddled back out for another session. Plus CAM ARRIVED, so we definitely needed to join him for a session. We are so excited for Cam because he got the job that he was gunning for. He now will be teaching at a private school that is NOT in san jose (where he was up until today). So now he will be living in Esterillos, getting in surf sessions before AND after class - and be able to hang with the Soda crew all the time. Plus, the pay is a bit more - which doesn't hurt. Had some fun rides then got out so that Cam and I could walk down to the fish market (a house of a fisherman who sells his days catch), but we missed him. To drown our sorrows we stopped at the LowTide Lounge where Brett, Les, Adam, Maria and Suzi were for a beer. Maria is Adam's girlfriend. A tica that lives next door to us and also works at the LowTide. She's been helping me with my spanish. She just speaks spanish to me like I understand every word. hahaha. It's helping though. And she's very patient. Also hung out with my fabulous new friend Suzanne. She's lived in Argentina and all over costa rica, she is fluent in spanish and she's just fabulous. Loves animals, and is dying to surf and play guitar (shes the one I gave the lesson to the other day). She also shares a passion for yoga. Tonight she is going to pick me up and bring me to her house to hang out. We're gonna do a yoga DVD, hang - chat, and watch a movie. She lives up on the hill where Adam and Les live. Very cool. She's going to give me a real-deal spanish lesson this week. Woohooo.

This is Maria and Adam

Gotta go now- because our fish guy didnt come thru, Cam and I are heading to Azul. MMM CEVICHE!!!! It's the best. Pura Vida.

1 comment:

  1. Friggin marathon blog eh? I don't think Brett has your stamina, I think you own him.

    ReplyDelete