not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Burger's, Achin Back, and Beers

In Costa, I try to stay up until ATLEAST 8pm. I can't go to sleep before then. Well, last night I was fighting it as hard as I could. Laid in my bed at 7pm to read, don't think that I even got a page and woke up at 11pm with my door open and my light on, still in my skirt. Fired up the fan, (left on the light), put on my pj's and locked the door. Woke up this morning at 5am, fell back to sleep, and got outta bed around 6am. Had my Bialetti (thank GOD for julisa...this was my christmas gift from her, and it has certainly been used atleast once a day since i got it), Skyped Mom and Shawn, and then headed out for a surf with Adam. We went to 'soda marys secret spot'. Now - my WHOLE body, every part of my being, is ACHING from yesterdays surf, as well as the walk to and from the secret spot. So this morning I was in agony. Walked the 25 minute trek with my heavy ass classic longboard on my head (it doesnt fit under my arm). I try to adjust the weight of the board from the top of my head, to the front of my head, and sometimes just balancing it on my hands above the board -- because my damn head is slowly becoming flat. Yes, flat. I'm not lying. By board is slowly crushing my skull. Got down there at a pretty low tide and very very carefully began the long paddle out. Adam had reef booties, so he walked most of the way. Mike (LEGEND mike) was not too far behind us. We got out there and got it good - not nearly as good as we did yesterday, or the time that Shawnie was here -- but it was chest to head high and clean. Plus, only us out there. Mike definitely had the wipe-out of the days. Him and his huge longboard tumbling together down the face of the wave and around the water. I was trying to supress my laughter because I wasn't sure if he was seriously hurt, but when he came up alive I laughed for 10 minutes straight. About an hour into our surf Adam and I started to talk about food....BAD IDEA. We got stuck on hamburgers- so after 2.5 hours of surf we ran out of the water, in a mad-dash to the LowTide Lounge for a loaded burger. My head was aching, my arms and my back were breaking, from holding my board - but I figured that I had to suffer thru it and EARN my burger. We had cheeseburgers with bacon and avocado, french fries on the side, and washed it down with soda. For dessert, we had a beer with Brian (the manager) and his very cute, insanely obedient yellow Lab, Jake. Adam and Brian tried a new Israeli beer that LowTide has, and I had an ice cold imperial light, served in a glass with a salted rim and some lime. MMM. MUY DELICIOUSO. Lovin it. Came back to Soda Mary, and I am now suffering from a food-hangover. My body is hurting, and it's calling for another ice cold beer. Trying to fight the urge and take a nap, but I'm thinking that it's too hot for that. PURA VIDA.

I mean...who DOESN'T like burgers?
Here's a quote from one of my (newest) favorite authors, Tom Robbins:


"A Hamburger is warm and fragrant and juicy. A hamburger is soft and nonthreatening. It personifies the Great Mother herself who has nourished us from the beginning. A hamburger is an icon of layered circles, the circle being at once the most spiritual and the most sensual of shapes. A hamburger is companionable and faintly erotic. The nipple of the Goddess, the bountiful belly-ball of Eve. You are what you think you eat."
Tom Robbins

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you put a towel on your head. I used to fold up a small towel and use it to cushion my head. It makes a huge difference. Try it. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like surfer's boot camp, you's a lean mean surfing machine babe. A girl has to have her protein too, beef, bacon and avocado after a long surf.......heaven.

    I love my little flat headed girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete