not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dancing My Way into 2012

I spent last new years eve in a warehouse in downtown LA with over a thousand people...6 hours of yoga, 11 minute meditation leading into the New Year, and then a wild and liberating dance party into the wee hours of the morning. I was sipping from red solo cups, but they were filled with Kombucha, not booze. It was the most fun that I had ever had celebrating the arrival of a new year. This year I was unable to get away, but hoped to be able to find something along those lines around here. Well, easier said than done.... But alas, I managed to find a 2 hour powerful prana flow vinyasa with the yogi ninja superstar, Simon Park, at Dhyana Yoga in Philadelphia.

"Simon Park was featured in Yoga Journal as "one of the most influential and gifted…next generation of yoga teachers." He draws inspiration from many styles (Vinyasa, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Thai massage, and martial arts) and teachers (Shiva Rea, Maty Ezraty, Joan White, Duncan Wong, and Dharma Mittra). Simon is dedicated to sharing the teachings of Shiva Rea, his first teacher. He leads workshops and teacher trainings in Vinyasa Yoga and Thai massage worldwide.

The class was vigorous, intense, sweaty, super challenging and totally inspiring. Afterwards delicious food was enjoyed (some briny oysters on the half shell, mussels and a champagne cocktail with St. Germaine), before heading to the World Cafe Live. Playing at the huge downstairs venue was a fabulous 20+ piece band, Philly Bloco. Tickets had been sold out, but thanks to Facebook I found the head honcho of the band, emailed him- offering up a gazillion dollars and my right arm in exchange for a ticket, and dont cha know it- voila. Ask and you shall receive! I danced to the intoxicating Brazilian Carnaval beats from 10:30pm til 2:30 in the morning. Everyone was dressed up but I opted for sneakers, and yoga clothes. Grateful for another amazing celebration of the New Year, and now-- I'm resting my legs....ALL DAY.


I wish that my camera would have been able to capture all of Philly Blocos booty-shaking-amazzzzingness!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment