not all who wander are lost.

Friday, January 13, 2012

The Best Gifts.


"the best gift is not given, it is shared."

I love teaching yoga...it just feels natural, like breathing and walking and talking. Yoga has changed my life; physically, emotionally, spiritually - and honest to god, I can't quite imagine my life without it. Just as some people live a 'Christian life', I feel like I am on the 'path of yoga', and it is a damn fine path to be on. The fact that I get to share this passion for yoga with others is amazing - an honor that I am all too grateful to have. But what makes this even better is that the people that I'm sharing it with seem just as excited about this path as I am, and as a teacher - this is the most rewarding feeling in the world.


After class the other day, one of my newer students (who JUST started practicing) approached me with a little story. I was surprised that he'd even come to class - his first bout with yoga was on Thursday evening and he'd written to me about how sore he was -- and then to have him show up for Saturdays sweaty, high-intensity vinyasa was a shocker! He acknowledged that it may be a bit fast paced for his skill level and he was still very sore, but he just didn't want to miss a class! Anywho- He said that for years he was a nature photographer in Arizona. Countless mornings he would see the sun rise through the epic canyons, and he would be stunned by how amazing this experience was. No matter how many times he had seen the sun rise, it was just as magnificent and magical as the time before. And every morning he'd turn his gaze alongside him and say "Isn't this amazing"? But there no one there with him, no one to share in his passion for this beautiful moment. He ended by saying that yoga is my passion, and that he is so grateful to be able to be that person alongside of me, replying "Yes, this IS amazing". It took me a while to digest this. Afterall, it had just been an intense class and my mind was all aflutter with this and that. But as I drove back to my house, the depth and sincerity of his compliment really hit me. So thanks Jim, it is my PLEASURE to share this passion, my gift...especially to a group of amazing, receptive, compassionate individuals.

Remember: the best gift isn't given, it's shared. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment