not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Broccoli Gribiche

Me and Dr.J @ La Medusa in Seattle.

The lovely J-Ngan gifted me two Heidi Swanson cookbooks when I was in Seattle. Dr.J is always cooking up the most epic dishes ever, and she takes a lot of inspiration from Heidi. J cooks like me...never following the recipe line for line, but playing with it and making her own. That's exactly what I did last night. On the menu for my two guests was Steak and Broccoli Gribiche. The (venison) steaks were marinated only with salt and pepper, and then I cooked them Pittsburgh style.....hot pan, high heat, short amount of time. So it's got a crust on the outside and is rare/medium rare inside. It cooked them in a skillet in butter, and put a pat of butter ontop right before serving. The broccoli gribiche was outstanding, I gotta say - I impressed myself! I made it my own and only used the recipe for inspiration, but for all of you recipe followers out there, here is her exact recipe. Also, I did a mixture of broccoli and broccoli rabe. Sooooo tasty!!!

Broccoli Gribiche

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 pounds of fingerling potatoes
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • sea salt
  • 12oz broccoli florets
  • 4 large eggs, hard cooked and peeled
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard (i used like 4 times this amount! sooo yummy!)
  • 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (I didn't have tarragon or chives, so I used a huge heaping handful of fresh flat leaf parsley and the green tops of scallions)

Preheat the oven to 400F. Use your hands to toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon of EVOO, sprinkle with salt, and turn out onto a baking sheet. Roast until they are cooked through and starting to brown. About 15 min before you think the potatoes are done, toss the broccoli with EVOO, sprinkle with salt, and arrange on the baking sheet with the potatoes. The broccoli is delicious if it has a slight char. To make the dressing, mash just the yolk of one of the eggs in a medium bowl. Very very slowly add 1/2 cup EVOO, beating constantly; the dressing should look smooth and glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, then mustard. Stir in the capers, shallots, herbs and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Coarsely chop the remaining eggs and egg white, and fold them into the dressing. Put the warm potatoes and brocccoli in a large bowl and gently toss with the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment