not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Full Moon in Midigama.

Stu is great company, so I'm not complaining, but we both miss Peanut. We indulged in a joy ride and some comfort food (ice cream cones) in the neighboring town, Weligama. Despite the rain everyone was out and about, because they were all headed to (Buddhist) Temple. I found out when I got home after doing some research that the full moon (as well as the New Moon) in Sri Lanka are Uposatha days:


"The Uposatha (SanskritUpavasatha) isBuddhist day of observance, in existence from the Buddha's time (500 BCE), and still being kept today in Buddhist countries.[1][2]The Buddha taught that the Uposatha day is for "the cleansing of the defiled mind," resulting in inner calm and joy.[3] On this day, lay disciples and monks intensify their practice, deepen their knowledge and express communal commitment through millennia-old acts of lay-monastic reciprocity."

When we got back from ice cream, I walked across the street to our neighborhoods humble shrine and placed an offering of three flowers among the other candles, incense and such that was adorning it. A flower for me, my mom and my dad. I said a little prayer expressing gratitude for all of our bounty and blessings, and for continued happiness in this life and the next. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be done, but it felt good to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment