not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Bread Truck.

I love the bread truck, because I love Sri Lankan bread. I've never quite understood how some countries get it, and some don't. Good bread in Indonesia or Costa Rica? Hell no. Perfect French baguettes in the poorest towns of Cambodia? Absolutely! It's a bit baffling, but logic aside- I am so so so very grateful for the bread in this beautiful country, and at only 40rs (about 28cents) a loaf- I've enjoyed a lot of toast since my arrival!

The little tuktuk has a variety of pastries and breads, donuts and rolls, sweet and savory, spicy and semi-spicy (cause there's no such thing as 'just a little spicy' in this country). There are sugared twists, fish curry buns, and spicy croissants. I usually pick out two items which will cost me less than 75cents in total, and they always fill me up- lunch of champions.

"How do you know when the bread truck is coming?", you ask....well, you hear the music of course! Since I've arrived almost every bread tukky has played Christmas tunes, more specifically "you better not pout, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why, Santa clause is coming to town". YES, he IS coming to town, with BREAD! Hooray!!

This bread truck we stopped at in Galle the other day was by far the fanciest one I've seen yet, with a perfect paint job on every inch. I got a short eat (a rotti that is stuffed with spicy potato curry, rolled up and then fried), and a spicy spinach curry puff. The total, 90rs (about 75cents), but the food itself was priceless. All the goodness sold from this little tukky is the stuff that can't be recreated back home. So I'm just savoring each and every spicy morsel. Boom. Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment