not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Apple Almond CousCous

One of my regular dishes is my Apple Almond CousCous. I could have sworn that I posted the recipe, but apparently I have not. So my darling Ev, this is for you!

1 cup uncooked cous cous
1 1/4 cup vegetable stock

Bring stock to a boil, dump in couscous, take off the heat, cover and let sit for about 5-10minutes.

Mix in:

2 apples, diced {peel left on}
large handful raw almonds
large handful dried cranberries
couple teaspoons of fresh rosemary and thyme
small handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, diced
dash of salt
nice drizzling of olive oil

now the key ingredients to flavor this are
-APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, and
-MAPLE SYRUP
I have no idea the measurements, I want to say about 1/4 cup each? Start out with just a bit, and add more as you go.

Voila.

Some fun facts about my favorite grain:

1.
Couscous is made from semolina, obtained by coarsely grinding the heart of robust wheat. Originating from the wheat's inner seed, and containing all the rich goodness and protein of the wheat germ, semolina is wheat's finest product.

2. One cup of cooked couscous contains 200 calories, 12% of which is accounted for by protein, 87% is from starch, and only 1% fats.

3. One cup of couscous provides 35% of your recommended daily requirement of nutritious fibers. It also provides a range of vitamins from the vitamin B group along with the minerals needed for its efficient absorption into the body.

4. Symbolizing luck, blessings and abundance according to North African tradition, couscous is prepared to celebrate a house warming or a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment