not all who wander are lost.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Anyone up for some Pork Belly?


Our Host + Hostess, Johnathon and Abby. The conversation: pigs.

I can justify the insane amounts of food {fatty, fried, rich and delicious} that we've been consuming since I landed in the rainy state of Seattle, because Julia and I have been diligent about going to yoga everyday. Woke up after my double meat day and headed to a power yoga class in the heart of Seattle. It was pretty intense, and very hot - but it felt good to sweat. I thought that after my double cheeseburger day that I would swear them off for a while, but sure enough - after yoga, my first thought was "Damn, I could totally go for a cheeseburger right about now..." Anyways, we skipped the cheeseburger because we were headed to BRUNCH! For those of you who are new to the blog, I'm in Seattle visiting my BEST FRIEND Julia {who I've known since birth} and her fiance Gordon. Both trained chefs, both serious foodies. Julia is now the sommelier and head of the house @ La Medusa, a fabulous Sicilian restaurant here in Seattle, and Gordon is the head chef. I eat well when I'm here, very well...and a lot. It just so happens that every single person that these two are friends with are also chefs, bartenders, servers, farmers or restaurant owners...who also eat very well. One such couple that they hang out with, Johnathon and Abby, invited us over for a 'leisure Sunday brunch'. Holy shit, this brunch blew my mind, and made me thankful that I decided to change out of my skinny jeans and into stretch pants at the last minute. Johnathon made the most amazing spread: roasted tomatoes, soft boiled eggs {with truffle salt}, sauteed baby potatoes that were fried in duck fat, salmon with fresh homemade hollandaise and some epic bread. We also threw back a couple bottles of Rose Brut...gotta love bubbles! A good time was had by all, and we managed to roll ourselves out to the car and head home for a rest.

Pork Belly: Braised then Seared.

Whipping up the hollandaise, over a warm water bath.


Brunch of CHAMPIONS.

...and Just when you think that we'd eaten enough for one day {and enough for a small army}, we were headed out for more! We shopped and bopped for a bit, and then found our way into the super cute Quinn's Pub. I sucked down several club sodas, while the couple sipped down some pints of local 'Hop Lava'. We had a soft pretzel with beer mustard, two different types of salad, a chickpea fritter sandwich, and fish and chips. We dessert we had some house made gourmet chocolates. Goddamn. Got home, we all cuddled on the couch, watched half of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and then retreated to bed. All in a days work!

No comments:

Post a Comment