not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Beef Bone Broth for Better Health

Bone Broth

If you ever told me that I would be slamming mugs of bone broth I would laugh in your face. I don't eat much meat, and I have always been grossed out by bones. But desperate times call for desperate measures...and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have heard from countless resources, doctors and nutritionists that I should be consuming beef bone broth. I assure you, it is much tastier than it sounds. Well, now that i am finally settled (for two whole weeks!!), i decided to give it a go. As with anything (juicing, broth, smoothies, etc), you absolutely must be buying organic. This is no different....organic, grass-fed. So, I headed to WHOLE FOODS. To my delight, when I asked the butcher about the ingredients for beef bone broth, he walked me over the freezer aisle which had prepackaged organic grass fed beef bones, as well as a broth that was already made, which he said they make every day! I bought both...one for instant gratification and the bones so that I can slow cook them all day tomorrow. I was even told today by Alana Bray (the owner of Yoga Bound studio in Carlsbad....an amazing chick, who's mother suffered from horrible candida overgrowth), that her mother cooks the bones all day, and then uses her vitamix to blend the bones with a bit of the broth, making an "Alfredo" sauce to put over veggies. It sounds gnarly, but it's delicious....and for any of you Paleo fanatics out there, this is what's up. So, here I sit, at my friend Grays house, all alone (he's in Mexico, surfing big big waves), sipping beef bone broth, and enjoying every single glorious second of this solitude! I am listening to"yoga music" (Benjy werthimer + john de kadt) and lounging in my pjs. I have been going nonstop and it feels amazing to take a moment to nourish myself. I added a touch of salt to my broth, and with every sip I can feel it healing my gut, my whole body, and even my Spirit.

So, for those of you who want to know WHY BONE BROTH?????........

"Simply put, bone broth is homemade stock made from animal bones such as fish heads or oxtails. You can use whole turkey or fish carcasses or parts of lamb, pig, venison – or any other animal of your choosing. The point is to simmer the bones (typically from one animal) in water for hours or days. The longer you cook it, the more nutritious it gets and the bette the product breaks down and pulls out all the nutrients.

Bone broth is known as a super food. The cooking process breaks down bones and connective tissues – including proteins, minerals and fat – that heal the body in various ways. And because bone broth comes from pure nature, it's sometimes more beneficial than taking supplements, especially for people with severe digestive problems.

When you ingest bone broth, it feeds the body with collagen, which is the building block of cells to bones, ligaments, cartilage and the brain. Gelatin, a form of collagen used in food, is used (among other benefits) to help digestion because the liquid gets absorbed into the body quickly and without much effort. Making bone broth excellent for people with food sensitivities and gastrointestinal disorders because it is usually very safe and tolerable for the body.

There are other virtues of bone broth. Bone marrow helps the immune system by carrying oxygen to cells in the body. Minerals such as calcium and phosphorus are essential for maintaining healthy bones and generating energy. And using cartilage-rich bones such as knuckles and chicken feet is said to be effective in treating arthritis and other degenerative joint diseases."



RECOMMENDED OILS FOR COOKING:
-Coconut oil has been used by many cultures over the centuries for its broad spectrum of anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial abilities. It contains a lipid called Lauric acid, which is used by the body to make Monolaurin, a compound found in mothers' milk that protects the infant from viral, bacterial, and fungal infections. I use it primarily when making bone broth to enhance the medicinal properties of the broth.
-Other oils that can be substituted are palm kernel oil, grape seed oil, or animal fat, such as lard.

MIREPOIX
3 onions, quartered
3 carrots, peeled and quartered
3 ribs of celery, halved
1 white part of leek, washed and halved
• BOUQUET GARNI - Wrap herbs within the green part of the leek. Tie with a string. 6 sprigs celery leaves
6 sprigs thyme
6 sprigs parsley, including stems
2 bay leaves
1 green part of leek (about 5 inches long)
WHITE CHICKEN OR BEEF BONE BROTH (Yield: 7-8 quarts)
INGREDIENTS:
• 5 lbs. chicken bones and/or parts OR 5 lbs. beef bones and/or parts • 1.5 gallons water
• 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• Mirepoix
• Bouquet Garni
• 20 peppercorns (optional)
• 8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Place all ingredients into a 12-quart stockpot.
2. Pour water into stockpot until ingredients are covered.
3. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, and simmer.
4. Let simmer for 6-24 hours (chicken) or 12-72 hours (beef).
5. Skim any impurities / scum from broth.
6. When stock is finished, let cool and strain with a chinois/fine mesh strainer. Store in heatproof and freezer proof containers. Stocks can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
7. A tip for cooling stock down quickly is to fill your sink, or another large stockpot, with ice water, and then place the stockpot into the ice water. Stir with a large ladle to speed up the cooling process.

Resources: www.doctorauer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment