- 2 strips bacon, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 can diet cola (preferably splenda-sweetened)
- 1/4 cup ketchup (sugar free)
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup water
NOTES: if you want the sauce to be vegetarian, omit the bacon and sub 1-3teaspoons of liquid smoke or an extra tablespoon of smoked paprika.
1. Fry the bacon, remove from pan, dice - and then add back to the pan with the sauteeing onions
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a pan. simmer for 20-30 minutes
*You are going to think that the sauce is too "tomatoey"...but trust me, once it cooks down it will be perfect!