not all who wander are lost.

Monday, June 6, 2011

SE ASIA: Beef Laap

LAAP. So so so delicious. It was tough to pick which was my favorite food I had abroad: beef laap or jaew mak len -- in the end, they pretty much tied. Laap is the national dish of Laos. It is done with beef, chicken and occassionally with fish. Basically, a meat is sauteed and then finished off with fresh herbs, lime juice, chilis and fish sauce. Every little restaurant you will go to will have their own style of Laap -- just like Italians with their pasta sauce. I had some really tragic Laap, and I had some really epic Laap -- but I assure you that this recipe I came up with is EPIC.

Ingredients:
10 ounces lean ground beef
1/2 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2-3 thinly sliced shallots
1 tablespoon (or more, to your taste!) dried chili
2 teaspoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup diced green onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup chopped fresh thai basil

Cook the ground beef at a medium heat. In a bowl combine lime juice, fish sauce, chili and sugar. Add in the cooked ground beef and now mix in mint, shallots, green onion, cilantro, and thai basil. *Many places serve this on a bed of lettuce, so I recommend a delicious way to eat it is to spoon the meat into leaves of lettuce (like meat into a tortilla) and enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment