not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rocks and Croc's

Scored some fun little wedgey waves out front yesterday morning a little past six with the outgoing tide. Session was short and we were hungry, so we picked up some Chorizo from the butcher and headed back to the house for breakfast. I made Gallo Pinto (rice, black beans and sautéed onions, garlic, pepper and cilantro), scrambled eggs and panfried chorizo. I love the butcher…the chorizo was over a foot long and only 850colones, which is about a dollar and a half. It was DELICIOUS. Did the dishes and then was exhausted – passing out in bed for well over an hour. Was woken up by a neighbor trying to sell some burritos, putzed around the house and still was exhausted from the heat. I think that yesterday was surely the hottest day yet – absolutely no relief. We opened every one of Adam’s windows, had on the fans and kept taking cold showers. I drank ice cold drinks and even lay on the tile floor. The heat was simply inescapable. Having decided that it was way too hot to do any kind of physical activity, I laid down on the couch to read some of “My Life In France”. Shortly thereafter I passed out, again. I was sweating and in and out of sleep for almost two hours. We had to escape the hot house so we headed down to Vago’s for some internet time, a cold beer and some cool ocean breeze. It was a bit more refreshing down there but still a steady stream of sweat was pouring off of me. Had a sunset session in a crowded but still fun little wave out front. As the sun was setting in the west, the full moon was rising in the east. For a few seconds there they shared the sky. We hurried home and got ready for LowTide Lounges’ FULL MOON PARTY. My friend Lee was DJ’ing and the whole town was out. Ran into some friends from Dominical and the bar quickly began filling up with Jaco-ians and Hermosians. I was only going to have a few beers but before you know it I was sipping on rum drinks with Jeni and did shots of Patron (which were smooth like butter) with Karen and then Brooke. “Party Brooke” was released from the cage last night, and clearly “Party Cailin” was too! We danced and danced and danced. Shawn left hours before I arrived back at the house a little after 1am. Legend Mike gave me a ride home – thank god. When I had left the party was still going strong, but my alarm was going off at 5am for the surf and I was only a few drinks away from seeing double. Four hours after retiring my dancin’ feet to bed I was up and drinking coffee, getting ready for the long walk to the reef. The tide was low but we gambled and went out anyways. Jeff and Shawn were getting some good waves, but for some reason I got spooked paddling out and the session was a washout for me. I don’t know what in frigging hell is wrong with me – I’ve been an avid surfer since I was a little kid, grew up in a family that practically lived in the ocean and bay – and I am TERRIFIED of the water. I mean really…this is no joke, I am scared of mother ocean. Today I was paranoid about hitting a rock on the inside because of the low tide, and then I was sure that there was a crocodile in the lineup (for this I am not crazy, there have been several crocodile sightings at this spot and all over Esterillos and Hermosa). As I said, for me the session was a wash. We got out – stumbled and danced across the exposed reef, and then hurried to Margaritas for breakfast. Back at the house now and SO ready for my late-morning nap. I’m even splurging and turning on the AC in the bedroom! Not much planned for today, just chicharones down at Vago’s sometime this afternoon. Pura Vida.

1 comment:

  1. Cailin,

    Dem Croc's don't eat dem people from New Jersey. Betta chance of gettin struck by Lighting. Paddle out and stuff Shawn on a late take off..............................Pelon

    ReplyDelete