not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Feliz Cumpleanos Brooke y Bienvenidos Jeff and Sharon

It's all just been a blur. People coming and going, booking taxis, lining up rooms and emailing information. I was joking today that I need an official job title....and a salary! Costa Rica Tour Guide & Adventure Planner. Jeff and Sharon got into town last night, and it was my friend Brooke's 29th birthday.

Had to drop the truck off in Parrita yesterday for Inspection. You leave it with the mechanic and three days later you get it back. Boom. Brett and the Doctor came along - Brett driving his van all the way there in 1st gear (its the only gear that it would go into), and the Doctor starting up his car with a knife because the key broke off. At the mechanic we picked up Bretts OTHER car that had been worked on and dropped off 3 more cars (also, Cam's car arrived there the day before). I think that Brett and his friends single-handedly keep this guy in business. Anyways, I wanted to bake a cake for Brookes birthday to make it special, I know what it's like to spend your birthday away from friends and family and with her being new to town I thought that it was important. Asked Brett to drop by the MegaSuper and managed to find a box of chocolate cake mix, but there is no such thing as "icing" in Costa...so I was forced to fend for myself. Made some creamcheese, sweetened condensed milk, powder sugar thing and tried to work it out. Everything was running later than I had hoped (surprise surprise, we are in Costa), so the cake was just coming out of the oven when I was supposed to be down the hill for the party. With my oven mits on holding the burning hot, freshly baked cake and Newman's leash tucked into my armpit we made the journey down the hill to Vagos. My hands were burning, Newman didn't understand why we were walking (I tried to explain my truck being at the shop) and all in all it was a complete friggin tacklebox. Got down the hill, iced the cooling cake, slapped some candles in it and hid it in the fridge. Jeff and Sharon rolled up to the bar the same time that Brook arrived, and shortly thereafter everyone headed in to sing Happy Birthday. It was supposed to be a suprise, but Shawn blabbed to Brooke when she arrived "Hey, you're so lucky, Cailin baked you a chocolate cake!" Way to ruin the surprise Shawnie! Oh well, the cake was delicious...lots of alcohol was consumed and several pizzas were devoured. Jeff and Sharon were stoked to finally arrive in paradise and were pretty stoked on their mini-cabina I had lined up for them.

Skip to this morning, Thursday. Yoga at 7am. I thought that it would be an empty class, but it filled up - even the slightly hungover birthday girl showed up!!! It was a great class followed by Marthas breakfast burritos and a windchopped surf. Even though it was some of the most awful surf we've had since I've arrived, Jeff Pace was stoked - grinning from ear to friggin ear. Oh man, we've created a monster. Tonight going to keep it low key and have some friends over for appetizers and some cold beers. Manana is the farmers market in Jaco and by late afternoon the tide should be right to catch a sunset surf session. Hopefully my car has passed inspection and will be back in my arms in the next day or two. Cross your fingers...on both hands.

Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment