not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Word Wednesday: Shelf Talkers

BAH. I forgot about Word Wednesday...
but now I remembered, so it's BACK!


Today is Wednesday.
The word is: "Shelf Talker"

shelf talker


:definition:

Printed card or other sign attached to a store shelf to call buyers' attention

to a particular product displayed in that shelf.

Also called shelf screamer.


Well, I've been doing some freelance design work lately. Currently my job is designing "Shelf Talkers". I keep telling people this and they respond with a blank face, saying "What the friggin' hell is a shelf talker?!". I, myself did not know what the hell they were when I was first approached, but after a brief explanation I knew exactly what they were talking about. Though shelf-talkers can be found in every supermarket, department store, and so forth - the one's that I am familiar with are the ones in the wine section at the liquor store. Appropriately, the shelf talkers that I am designing are for a WINE company! I was hoping that I would be paid in scrumptious red vino, but no such luck - just cash. A shelf talker (at a liquor store) is usually around 3" x 4.5" in size. It contains the name of the Vineyard, the type of wine (chardonnay, pinot noir, etc), and the year. Below that information is most commonly the area of the vineyard (napa valley, tuscany, etc.), along with a brief description of the wine and what it should be paired with, as well as a rating if applicable. A typical shelf talker might read Pomelo, Sauvignon Blanc, 2007. California. Aromas of citrus, ripe cherries and fresh florals. The palate will recognize a sweet, smokey oak and grapefruit in this smooth, refreshing sauvignon blanc. Pair with Asian fare, mild goat cheeses, and fresh fruit. Shelf talkers are GREAT because in such a booming industry, where there are 40 Pinot Noir's to choose from, the consumer could use some help widdling down their selection. Now, when I know that I'm going to be having BBQ Ribs for dinner, I can skim through the shelves and discover that a bold but smooth Cabernet Sauvignon from Cartlidge & Browne vineyards compliments BBQ'ed Red Meat -- the shelf talker tells me so! Also, you know longer need 20, 30, 40 dollars + to buy a great bottle of wine. There is an AMAZING selection, all around a 10 dollar range. If you see a number on a shelf talker...83, 87, 90, 98.....these are part of a rating system. Basically a bunch of foodies and vino addicts, or shall I say "sommeliers", gather in a room - they are blindfolded - literally - , and they taste wines from all different 'classes'. They then rate the wine from 1-100 based on the tasting. So, BOOM, if you see a bottle with a shelf talker that boasts a 90 for only 8.99, you are in luck!

Well, there you have it. SHELF TALKERS....trying to make us a more educated, informed consumer.


It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one's present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.
-Latin Proverb




No comments:

Post a Comment