not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lucky Bones & Purple Teeth



My friend Paulie and I try to have date night atleast once every week. Date night usually entails going out for dinner...a nice dinner. Appetizers, entrees, dessert - and drinks, of course. The past few months have been madness with family matters and travel, so we were way overdue for one of our nights out. We both decided on Lucky Bones in Cape May...a favorite of Paul's, and something completely new to me. I'd heard great things about the restaurant though, rave reviews - AND I designed their brochure when I worked for TAC Printing and Marketing so obviously I felt a connection. ha. Anyways, they have a badass logo - unusual for places down the shore which often fall victim to that kitschy-shore-seashell-pastels crap. Those who know me know that I usually select my wine at the liquor store based on the label...same goes for everything from lotion, cleaning products, gadgets, tortilla chips, to seltzer water. I'm a sucker for good graphic design...what can I say?!

Paul detests dining rooms...we usually sit at the bar, or at a table in the same room as the bar (as we did last night). Paulie had a pint of beer, and I had a big glass of red wine. MmMm good. We split the Mussel appetizer, with an extra side of their fantastic, fresh and delicious foccia bread on the side for soaking up the superb blush spinach, tomato and gorgonzola sauce. Following our app was the house salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Paul never eats his salad when we go out. Never. I am always the one to finish it. But not only did he eat some of our perfectly portioned, superbly sauced, refreshing salad -- but he finished it! For dinner he had the grilled ginger-lime salmon with mashed sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus. I had the crab-shrimp cakes with polenta, a lemon bernaise, and grilled asparagus. Both were amazing, but I think that mine was the winner, hands down. They were done in a very light breading, super crispy on the outside, and none of that artificial-bread-filling-crap - just meat. As if that wasn't enough, we ordered dessert. TWO desserts, because we couldn't decide which would be best. Paulie got the Ecuadorian Rainforest Chocolate Decadence Cake that was served with a raspberry puree, whipped cream and blueberries (he ordered a side of vanilla ice cream as well). I ordered Lil's Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich. Fabulous, REAL vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between two homemade chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies, served with a side of fudge sauce for dipping. Holy CHRIST. It was amazing. 3 rounds later and 3 courses later I was totally ready to trade in my "skinny jeans" for some sweatpants. BUT, we decided to pop in on Jill for a visit, and bring some wine with us. We barged into her house, fed her our leftovers, drank some MORE wine and gossiped. Woohooo.

Woke up this morning with a purple tongue, purple teeth, and a headache. I wasn't hungry until dinner this evening. Damn, Lucky Bones was MUY GOOD.

JRR Tolkien

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you makin me hungry and I jus finish my dinner, Pura Vida,
    Lagarto

    ReplyDelete