not all who wander are lost.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Belgian Cafe ... MmMm

What a lovely day in the City of Brotherly Love.


Today Shawn had to visit his accountant and in the evening his work was on display at a Temple Alumni Art Exhibit (Opening) - so we opted for a day in the city. While he was going to be busy punching numbers, I had coaxed Susan into entertaining me for the day. She's like family, and she {conveniently} lives on Queen Street in Philly. I only had coffee for breakfast (rare...very rare), and after a ride up that seemed to take forever, Shawn thought it best to stop at Lorenzo's for a slice before I totally melted down. Good call on his part - I just began to get delirious, dizzy and incredibly bitchy {food rules my life for those of you who haven't noticed}.

Lorenzo & Son Pizza, 305 South Street, Philadelphia

For $2.50 I got the biggest and most delicious pizza that I've had in a long time. Perfect crust...it was thin, but still had some umph to it. I hate thick, doughy crusts (think Dominoes delivery...ew). I guess that I can't really be a good judge about the slice though because the hunger I was suffering from had me in a state of delirium. After I inhaled the slice Shawn pawned me off onto Susan: he left for the accountant, and we left for shopping, bopping, and more eating!
"Mouth-watering aromas. Produce fresh from the field. Amish specialties. Fresh meats, seafood, and poultry. Unique, hand-made pottery, jewelry and crafts from around the world. The hustle and bustle of a multitude of diverse people. It’s all here in Philadelphia’s historic farmers market, Reading Terminal Market. An exhilarating selection of baked goods, meats, poultry, seafood, produce, flowers, ethnic foods, cookware and eclectic restaurants are peppered throughout the Market."

Susan and I walked a distance to the Reading Terminal {Amish} market, "Fresh & Local, Every Day". At the market Susan and I split a corned beef special on rye {i mean, come on, when in rome....}, as well as splitting a freshly rolled soft pretzel with spicy mustard on top. I also picked up a jar of my favorite snack at the Pickle Vendor...PICKLED GREEN BEANS! They were spicy though. Real spicy. Perhaps too spicy. Also, I read the ingredients and one was "yellow #5" , which really turned me off. Pickled Green Beans are pure, there is no reason for the #5. Oh well, you live and you learn. Anyways, after the market we walked through Chinatown where I loaded up on a few boxes of my favorite, Genmai-Cha (Green Tea w/ Roasted Brown Rice) and I finally found a bottle of plum drinking vinegar! A blog about Asian drinking vinegars will be coming this week, and until then I will just leave you sitting on the edges of your seat!

Wandered home, Shawn met up with us, watched some pretty awful Sci-Fi shows, played with the cats, napped for a few seconds and then packed up and headed off to Shawn's opening. The opening was held at the Icebox Gallery @ the Crane Building. A b.e.a.utiful building. Old and timeless and beautiful...one of those buildings that you stop, stand, and stare at.
The mission behind the Crane Building is:

· Creating a unique community that encourages and supports artistic production by both emerging and established artists.
· Assisting the development and growth of Philadelphia’s creative resources, assets, and potential.
· Creating a unique location for certain creativity-based businesses to thrive alongside the vibrant, Crane Arts community.
· Providing unique space for the visual and performing arts to showcase events on a local, regional, and national scale.

Crane Arts, 1400 N American Street, Philadelphia


Shawn's show was awesome. There were some truly odd "pieces of art" that are just too difficult to describe, so I'll just leave that to you. To read more about the exhibit go here: http://www.temple.edu/tyler/victory/index.html

By this time, I'm obviously ravenous, ready to eat my fist. I suggested a place that I've been before and adored, The Belgian Cafe by the Eastern State Penitentiary {a very cool, somewhat creepy old building - i hear they do a wicked "haunted house tour" around halloween: http://www.easternstate.org/ }.

THE BELGIAN CAFE. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE BELGIAN CAFE.

They are known for their mussels here, and though I'm sure everything else on the menu is delicious, I would not dare order anything other than their FAN.TAS.TIC mussels. MmMm. Muy good. The mussels come in two sizes: small or large. The small is the perfect amount...I cannot imagine even being able to eat the large pot, even with some help from friends. So for $9.95 you get a "small" {but totally big} bowl of mussels in your choice of sauce {there are several amazingly mindblowing sauces to choose from}. The bowl is served with a good roll, for dipping of course, as well as a basket of their AWARD-WINNING, fresh-cut frites with two dipping sauces: a homemade bourbon mayonnaise and a homemade spicy-sweet-smokey ketchup. So satisfying. That's how I describe this meal, satisfying...every drop, every morsel. I will say though that I was totally disappointed in the frites this evening. My other times dining at the Belgian Cafe they were big and crispy...the fries today seemed, eh, so so. Thinner fries that perhaps sitting in the back for two long. They were still way better than any fries I've had this year, and it didn't stop me from eating the whole basket. SO, for $10 you not only get a delicious meal, but it's also just the right size and the most pleasing atmosphere. It's small and intimate, but not so small that you are sitting on top of eachother and hearing one anothers conversations. It's a happening place, but not so awful that yuppies have taken over and you have to wait hours for a table. Kick ass food, served within 15 minutes of you ordering. And the paintings, *sigh, the paintings. They are beautiful. Organic and graceful. They make me smile. Especially the one by the window that is half woman/half mermaid.

The Belgian Cafe, 21st & Green, Philadelphia

We strolled back to the car through the brisk, cool spring breeze and headed back to the shore.
What a lovely day in the City of Brotherly Love.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you again! I had to go home to my parents house very last minute. I'll get you next time, as I live a block away from Lorenzos... I'll use that to lure you over. Mwa ha ha!

    ReplyDelete