not all who wander are lost.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

I was introduced to Kundalini Yoga out in California a few years ago. My friends Nicole and Bri were both finishing up their teacher training the month that I was out West staying in Encinitas. They had invited me to their graduation ceremony where there'd also be a Kundalini session. And though I didn't know much about Kundalini I figured that it'd be a positive experience, plus I'd wanted to support the girls. Well...it was intense. It's nothing like a flowy vinyasa class, which I'd solely practiced for the previous year. There was lots of chanting, intense breath work, and crazy arm movements to emphasize your breath. It was the most challenging thing that I'd ever done - and the most rewarding. Though I'd attempted to "meditate" I never could quite understand HOW to do this. Well, after an hour of INTENSE, EXHAUSTING, mentally-physically-and-spiritually-challenging movements and breath I fell into the most spectacular, peaceful meditation. It was like my physical body didn't even exist. Wild. Ever since that day I have tried to incorporate Kundalini into my personal practice, and I'm just starting to feel comfortable enough as a teacher to bring it into the classroom. Some of you are going to think that I've gone crazy when I start incorporating these Kundalini Kriyas- but I promise you that they are powerful and will impact you in only the most positive ways.

I have finally tracked down the PERFECT book, a not-too-complex, easy-to-understand-and-follow book. Kundalini Yoga by Shakta Kaur Khalsa. I have read a ton of books on this style of yoga, but some are too complex or difficult to digest. For anyone interested in embracing this style, I'd encourage you to purchase this book. I got mine used for like two bucks on amazon. And it was the best $2 I've ever spent....


Towards the back of the book are some yoga poses for couples, and along with the poses are some quotes. The one I've shared below really hit home with me, though it's obviously not directed to a partner- but to my parents. And the second that I read the quote, it made me think of a picture that we have hanging on the wall downstairs. I took a picture of it to share with you.

"Don't live at or with each other, but for each other.

Hold an attitude of gratitude."

- Yogi Bhajan

My Thursday evening Candlelight Slow Flow classes (7:15pm-8:30pm) will be incorporating a bit of Kundalini. Also- I'm heading to Kripalu in Massachusetts for a "Kundalini Yoga: Breathing the Inner Body of Light" for the second week in Decemeber -- and when I get back you better believe we are gonna Kundalini all day and night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment