not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Scrumptious Springtime Salad.


I opened my eyes at 6:30am and before I even acknowledged that I was awake my first thought was "AVOCADO + ORANGE SALAD"! Bah, I'm certifiable. I bought a huge 10lb bag of yummy, just-perfect Navel oranges at the farmers market the other day. Why a 10lb bag? I don't know...just in case, I guess. So now I have a gazillion oranges that need to be eaten, and I have two amazingly creamy and delicious avocados that are listo para comer as well. Usually I make this salad with ruby red grapefruit but some sweet and tangy oranges will do the trick. It is the easiest, most satisfying spring salad...perfect for this time of year.

salad:
Romaine + Red Lettuce
Orange Sections
Avocado
Hulled, Raw Sunflower Seeds

dressing:
Juice of Oranges
Dash of Balsamic Vinegar
EV.Olive Oil
Salt + Pepp

It's pretty self-explanatory, but for you people who need blow by blow, here it is:

Prepare your greens, top with sliced avocado. To get the orange sections I've found that the best way is to slice off both top and bottom of the orange. With the orange sitting flat proceed to take the knife all along the outside of the orange, cutting off ALL of the rind and the white parts, just exposing the flesh of the orange. Once you've cut it all off, run a sharp knife along the thin sections and voila! If you are having a dinner party and making this salad, I would recommend slicing up the oranges earlier in the day - it's not difficult, but can be tedious. For a little sumthin' sumthin' extra I like to sprinkle a few hulled raw sunflower seeds on top - they just seem very "Spring-y" to me. For the dressing you use the fresh orange juice as your vinegar - I also like to add a dash or two of balsamic to it as well. You do a little more than 1/3 vinegar {or in this case juice} and then less then 2/3 EV.OO. Easier than mixing them - squeeze the orange over the salad til it seems right and then drizzle with EVOO. Sprinkle a little salt on top and then a few turns of the Peppermill and bam - you got yourself a scrumptious springtime salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment