not all who wander are lost.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Dining with D...A Taste of the Finer Things.

Todo, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.
Everyone drives a shiny new car,
the only sizes in stores are 0, 2, + 4,
and a meal out starts at around $50.
Welcome to LA.



AuntieD and Me @ Geoffrey's in Malibu.

http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/

27400 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, California
310.457.1519


Bah. Arrived in LA to Auntie D's. Money has just been flying out the window, but atleast it has been spent on my favorite thing: FOOD. We went to Geoffrey's (my moms FAVORITE) in Malibu for an expensive but delicious lunch. We sipped champagne cocktails and had a little bit of everything from the menu. Our waiter, Gary, was wonderful - knowledgable service with a smile. We started out with an appetizer special, Lobster Cakes. Divine.

Delicious, Delicious Lobster Cakes.

Next on the lineup was brie baked in a puff pastry with toasted pine nuts and carmelized pears, which were served with an orange zest - the perfect compliments to their sweet flavor and the saltiness of the baked brie.

Baked Brie in Puff PastryPear Chutney, Beurre Blanc, Roasted Pine Nuts

After the baked brie there was a salad, which was so delicious I forgot to take a photo of it! Poached Pear Salad ...Baby Pears, Mixed Greens, Cayenne Candied Pecans,Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese, Pear Honey Vinaigrette . Our main course was Scallops - probably the best scallops I've ever had in my life. They were cooked to perfection - most and succulent...they melted in your mouth. Served over a bed of creamy foie gras risotto which was mellowed down by a pomegranate and balsamic reduction. Hands down, epic.



Sautéed Day Boat Sea ScallopsHudson Valley Foie Gras Risotto,
Drizzle of Star Anise Infused Pomegranate Reduction

It was Auntie D's birthday, and her favorite dessert is Creme Brulee....so, of course we got the creme brulee! The chocolate mousse on the bottom was just right!

Classic Geoffrey’s Crème BruléeLayer of Traditional Vanilla Bruleeon top of a Layer of Dark Chocolate Mousse
The damage: $200. A price that I was more than happy to pay for a totally sublime meal, in a beautiful setting, with wonderful service and a chilly champagne in hand!
Later in the day Lara came and met up with D and I in Studio City. We bopped and shopped and chattted and eventually made our way out to a great little Tapas place in the neighborhood for dinner. I LOVE tapas, because you get a little bit of this and a little bit of that! I love variety!




The Ladies who Lunch {or in the case, "Dinner"}.

Me, Diane, Lara.




Mussels. Plu mp, Juicy, Delicious. Fennel, butter, White Wine. With french fries.



Saffron Seafood Paella.
Grilled Cheese w/ Greuyere and Proscuitto

Curry Kabobs: Chicken, Pineapple, Zucchini
The best Tapa: India Zucchini Pockets. Shaved zucchini filled with raisins, pine nuts and some other totally wonderful ingredients that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Dear Food,
I love you, but you are making me fat.
Dear LA,
I love you, but you are making me poor.
Dear Encinitas,
I love you, I love you, I love you - and I'll be home soon.
Love, Cailin

No comments:

Post a Comment