not all who wander are lost.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Spicy Honey Nuts



The other day I was having a craving for these Butter Toffee Almonds that I get at Santori's in Somers Point. They are sooo delicious, but definitely have wayyy more butter toffee than they do almond. Ha. SO, I decided to create a version all my own. I have a TON of raw nuts in the house from when I went on my crazy "candida yeast" cleanse, and I haven't touched the nuts since then. Well, I busted out all the bags o'nuts, grabbed the Honey bear {WHOA, I have been on a honey kick...mmm good}, some cayenne, salt and sugar -- and away I went.

Cailin's Spicy Honey Nuts
  • 1 pound of raw nuts, your choice. {I used brazil nuts, almonds, cashews and pecans}. *If you want, you can start with already-roasted nuts, cutting one step out of the cooking process. Roasting them yourself is pretty easy so if you only have raw available don't worry.
  • cayenne {a teaspoon to a few tablespoons....depending upon your spicy-lovin'-factor}
  • 1/4 of sugar {preferrably turbinado or sugar in the raw...it's crunchier!}
  • 2 big tablespoons of salt {kosher or coarse ground}
  • HONEY. 'bout 6 tablespoons.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the nuts evenly on a baking sheet pan and spray with some olive oil or vegetable oil...just a very light dusting. Roast the nuts for 10-15minutes. On the stove, heat up the honey and mix in the cayenne pepper. Pour over top of the roasted nuts and make sure that they are evenly coated. NOW, with the oven on 325, roast the nuts for another 10-12minutes. Remove from the stove, sprinkle with the salt and sugar, coating all the nuts, and let them cool {make sure you take a spatula to them sometime before completely cooled otherwise they will be glued to the bottom of the pan!}.

ENJOY.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome! I am going to make this... with agave nectar!

    ReplyDelete