not all who wander are lost.

Friday, September 18, 2009

More Chitra for ME!




I finished The Palace of Illusions yesterday by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Epic. Epic. Epic. I will just leave it at that. I was devastated that it had to end, but atleast I had my life back. When I got back from surfing this morning I didn't know what to do with myself...free time and no more "palace". Damnit. I cooked a bit, cleaned a bit, and pondered about the Palace. I looked up the weather forecast for the next few days and the not-so-fabulous-weather ahead inspired me to go pick up another one of Chitra's books from the library. I could be totally-consumed in another one of Chitra's magical worlds and not feel guilty, afterall what is one to do when the sky is pouring down!? This time I picked up "The Mistress of Spices"...'a dazzling tale of misbegotten dreams and desires, hopes and expectations, woven with poetry and storyteller magic.' Now as I write to you about this novel, while doing my research - I found out that in 2005 this book was made into a movie!! Hooray...going to read the book first, movie will follow, and I promise to give a full report.


"On a mythic island of women "where on our skin, the warm rain fell like pomegranate seeds" powerful spices like cinnamon, turmeric, and fenugreek whisper their secrets to young acolytes. Ordained after trial by fire, each new spice mistress is sent to a far-off land to cure the life pains of all Indian seekers, while keeping a cool distance from the mortals. Only stubborn, passionate Tilo, disguised as an old woman merchant in present-day Oakland, California, fails to heed the vengeful spices' warnings. Fragrant with spice and sensuality, this winning tale rolls off the tongue."


No comments:

Post a Comment