not all who wander are lost.

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Journey Begins...




Sunday September 27th 6:15am:

Pristine pure white, cloud covered horizon. As the sun is just beginning to peak through them they are painted with blues, purples, oranges and reds. Truly an artists palette. This is where my journey begins - not at the airport while I'm stressing over chicking in- and not when I board the plane. No, my journey begins once I'm flying high through the air and look out over the mountains of clouds we are immersed in. I smile, always, totally at peace and excited for the journey that I've just begun...

My eyes feel especially heavy today, lack of sleep affecting me more than I'd like it to. It was a late night work last night and three hours of sleep wasn't quite enough. I can't complain though - I'll sleep when I'm dead {which I'm hoping isn't anytime soon}! I feel a bit better after a breif cat nap followed by Honey Nut Cheerios with 2% Milk {not organic, but I'll let that slide} and a banana. Continental is picking up their game...no more crusty fake-meat breakfast sandwiches! I follow it up with a cup of herbal tea...cause I never leave home without my personal stash of tea bags. The plane is chilly so I'm bundled up tight - and looking forward to my final destination - Sunny California! Dr.Potato {aka Lara 'Pappas whom I met in Costa Rica a few years ago} will be picking me up at the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana. Wooohoooo let the debauchery begin! But first, a layover in Texas....

As the plane begins it's dissent into Houston, Texas the clouds are replaced by rows and rows of perfectly groomed houses, all exactly the same. Identical. REM's "Shiny Happy People" comes to mind, but then I bite into a banana and close my eyes - letting visions of ecuador consume my mind {fyi: ecuador is the worlds top exporter of bananas}. One more month!

Sunday 9:20 AM

I stepped off the plane and priority number one was caffeine! I felt the headache begin to set in as I began into a frantic jog towards a coffee shop. With a Grande Starbucks Americano in hand I made my way to my next gate for the final half of my journey. Everyone was emailing and webbing on their iPhones and Blackberrys...and I suffered a serious case of internet-envy -- craving some one on one time with my blog....

SUNDAY AFTERNOON:

Lara picks me up at the airport and instantly a smile is on my face. Lara - the one person I can think of that is the exact opposite of me in every way - is one of my best friends. We laugh, we chat, we understand eachother. And I just love her. Anyways, Potato and I had planned to go the Abbot Kinney Festival in Venice Beach...but really - it would be like going to the boardwalk and the rides on 4th of July Weekend down the shore...it would be chaotic and touristy and fun, but not really fun. More frustrating than fun. SO - we opted for lunch at GOOD STUFF in Hermosa Beach where Lara lives. I have been EVERYWHERE around Hermosa beach - every town above and below, but NEVER to Hermosa. Well, I've been missing out. A two mile - super cute beach town - where everyone knows everyone, the town is out for Happy Hour then on a friends roof for some music and drinks before retiring to bed. I dig it. Good people, good vibes. Mellow. After lunch {Auntie D met up with us} we walked {yes walked -- I love this town, everyone just walks, skateboards or bikes everywhere} to Pappas' friends house to hang on her roof. Kim - she is sweet, and funny and sassy and completely wonderful. We had a good time hanging on her roof, listening to music and chatting it up before heading down the street to Barnacles for some drinks. We had "fireflys" : it is iced tea flavored vodka, 80 proof, served with water, slice of lemon - boom, it tastes like a southern sweet tea, and it's totally deadly. At the bar we met some more people, and our group grew. That's how I'm told Hermosa works -- everyone is friends with everyone. Nate, Strawberry and Clayton were now joined with us and Auntie D declared that she wanted "fancy, expensive drinks" - on her tab of course - and she wouldn't have it any other way. So our rowdy, almost-pretty-drunk crew walked down the street to Mediterranea for Bourbons, Scotches, Cucumber Coolers, and White Sangria. We laughed, and laughed, and laughed and laughed. And laughed. Good times with our new friends. Sainte Rocke followed after. Myspace.com had the White Buffalo's show listed as 7pm. I met the White Buffalo {his name is Jake} and almost died, a smile from ear to ear. Literally. Well, turns out that the show doesn't start until 10! SO - back on the road, we walked to Lara's, picked up my guitar, and headed to another friends rooftop. I sang, we all chatted, we laughed and then returned to Sainte Rocke at the appropriate time. The opener for Buffalo was pretty amazing -- though I didn't get their name. I'm going to find out though, and share the wealth with you: cause they were THAT good. Buffalo was EPIC. Just EPIC. He played with his amazing bassist and passionate drummer and his voice is an instrument all it's own. I won't even try to summarize anymore - because there are no words to describe. Towards the end Lara and I danced our asses off to some of his upbeat tunes - he played two oncore songs, and then I harrassed him for a photo. Wooohooo. Love it. Retired for the night {this time we took a cab home} and now it's Monday morning and we're headed for breakfast.

Me and THE WHITE BUFFALO.

1 comment: