not all who wander are lost.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

DAY 2 : Seattle

It's day two, and Seattle is FRIENDLY!!

There is no better word for Seattle than "Friendly". When it's raining: dreary, depressing, yet always friendly.

I started off my day with the most delicious bit of caffeine that I've EVER had (yes, shawnie, im sorry -- better than your morning brew). It was cafe americano (espresso + water), with cream and sugar. But the espresso was made in the most delightful, intriguing contraption. I'm sure that the espresso was as delicious as it was because of the machine it was brewed in. It's made by a company, Bialetti. Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. I'm definitely going to start using this method upon my return to NJ.

It kind of reminded me of this French-Press-esque gadget that my friend Emily Corkill brought me back from Vietnam. Both make super strong brews, but the Vietnamese press sits on top of your cup.



Anyways, enough about coffee. Let's talk about Seattle.

I took the 120 Seattle bus into the heart of the city this morning for $1.50. I asked the bus driver and everyone person seated around me 5 times where I was going, and if I was headed in the right direction. I was. In 15 minutes I was dropped @ 3rd Avenue and Union. I was only a few walking blocks from the famous Pike Place Market.
Outside there are a ton of fish markets, produce stands, cheese - salmon - meats...you name it. If it was fresh, it was sold along the street. I opted for the downstairs 'flea market' style shopping center. You walk underground and they have a zillion shops, you can get lost. I did get lost and found myself in a cute little stationary store. I chatted with the owner for over an hour (they specialized in VINTAGE CARDS, my favorite!!) and spent a bunch of money on cards (I'd rather not disclose the amount.....). I ventured outside because the sun was shining, for which I was very very very grateful. It was gorgeous. I strolled along the street and munched on a PIROSHKI from the russian bakery. It was basically a pastry filled with potatoes, onions, and cheese. Okay, not amazing. I'd never heard of them before, so I was interested. It was $3.50. After that I walked to an antique store that my Stationary friend had told me about. It was a large building and everything was expensive and in cases, but I found one room filled with great vintage clothes. I tried on every article in the room. I was having a bunch of fun putting feathers in my hair and trying on ridiculous clothing, but I did end up picking up one black leather jacket to purchase. It's classic. Love it. And of course, I bought some vintage cards. After spending a few hours in there I stopped at this place called Taxi Dogs and had the best hot dog of my life!!! I'm not really a hot dog eater-- but it was fantastic. Fantastic. Hit the spot. I ate it while I was sitting on a stone wall looking out over the beautiful water in Seattle.

Next I saw a golden retriever.
I followed the golden retriever -
into a wine store.
And what a wonderful discovery it was!
The Tasting Room: Wines of Washington.
Jeff was my wine connoisseur.
He helped me find a wine to give to my Host, Julie's boyfriend Gordon, as a gift.
THen while I was being rung up, I decided to have a "flight" of wine (2 oz tastings). I tried 4 reds.
Had a full glass of my favorite red.
And then had 2 glasses of sparking wine, all the while chatting with a fabulously friendly couple to my right and gabbing with Jen the manager and Jeff my connoisseur. It was soo fabulous and fantastic and delicious. I snacked on some cured Salmi's and chatted up a new friend, Tiana. She had to jet because she was late for work, but she said that I should definitely stop in. The place was Steel Head Diner and she gave me her number just in case I got lost.
I said my goodbyes, gave the two golden retrievers kisses, and stumbled out.

I bopped one more time through Pike Place, picking up some gifts for Shawn and my family, then I made my way towards the Steel Head Diner. When I got there the chef sent over some fried Smelt (little bait fish) with a fantastic mustard dipping sauce (on the house). I then had BEET TARTARE. Bah. Fabulous. Delicious. Wonderful. I shared this with my dining "neighbor" Sophie, who was eating some kick-ass gourmet Mac n Cheese. I sipped on a delicious gin, lime and sage cocktail while making new friends. Sophie walked me to the bus stop and we texted for the next 20 minutes. She's very friendly, like everyone else I've met in Seattle.

Im home now, and julie just arrived -- so we are going to drink some wine and eat PICKLED STRING BEANS!!!! MMMM.

xoxoxoxo cailin

2 comments:

  1. good coffee, flea markets, string beans!!??? i need to come to seattle. got your mail yesterday. can't wait to open it!! stay well have fun cant wait to do an amazing photo shoot for the next album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to be your new seattle friend Cailin.

    We'll get coffee or another meal before you go home.

    :)

    ReplyDelete