not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Turmeric for your Teeth!

Turmeric...the bright yellow spice used in Asian recipes, and is the basis for almost all Indian dishes, might stain everything it comes in contact with -- but surprisingly it will WHITEN your teeth! Swear to God.
 
Turmeric amazes me. Not only do I love to use it in cooking (legumes should be cooked with turmeric to make them easier to digest), but I have used it as a supplement for years. This golden root has helped me to combat joint pain since I was a kid. And on days that I feel particularly uncomfortable I will make myself "turmeric tea" putting a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in hot water with a squeeze of lemon juice and sometimes a chunk or two of ginger. In Laos I would make a paste of ground turmeric root and some water, massaging it into my joints before entering the steam hut. And now I am using this potent-bit-of-goodness to whiten my teeth. In Ayurveda it is recommended to gargle with salt water in the morning mixed with a scoop of turmeric, which is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. In India there is turmeric is so many products that you buy....from hair shampoo, lotion and toothpaste. The more that I educate myself about health, healing and our environment, the more I turn into one of those people. I threw out all of my lotions and potions, cleaning products, and toiletries. My cabinet now consists of a few essential oils, Coconut Oil, turmeric and baking soda. I use these to wash my body, my face, and my counters. I moisturize my body, my face, and my lips with coconut oil. I have added "oil pulling" to my morning routine, and in addition to cleansing my nasal passageways with the Neti pot, I gargle with a turmeric/salt/water concoction. And yep - I brush my teeth with a sprinkle of turmeric. The thought of putting chemical strips in my mouth to whiten my teeth is frightening. Putting chemicals on my skin to get it "clean" is terrifying. Afterall, our skin absorbs everything on the exterior and it enters our bloodstream. Go ahead, read the back of your lotion bottle right now...can you pronounce more than half of the ingredients? Probably not. And each of those is going into your body. You will save your money, save your environment and save your health by simplifying your cupboard. I promise.



1 comment:

  1. It also heals wounds so quickly. Turmeric ointment healed my big open wound in Vietnam. A probably 1-2 month healing got it healed in 3 weeks, after a week a scab starts forming which is a good indication of healing because its drying. :)

    ReplyDelete