not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Anxious Energy...Breeds Productivity.

I have been super anxious. Going from my full days, mentally and physically, in Costa Rica - and returning to the winter-time paced South Jersey has thrown me for a loop. In the wintertime on the East Coast, it's like everyone goes into hibernation. They eat and get real fat, drink themselves to preservation, and then lay around. And at their defense - there really is nothing to do. Well, nothing aside from eating and drinking. All of my favorite things about the shore like fishing, surfing, clamming, hanging at the beach with my family are put on hold - until May or June rolls back around. So, with all of this restlessness due from lack of activity (add insult to injury...my damn car is broke down!) and anxious energy regarding this lack of activity and my dad's health - I decided that I needed a project. After yoga at Michelle's the other day, I was inspired by the several eye pillows that she had for savasana. Savasana is one of my favorite poses -it's also called "Corpse Pose" because you literally lay there like your dead. Lying on your back, palms facing up, uou {are supposed to} completely relax your body. After an hour of contracting and releasing poses, this is a time for the regular blood flow to return and for the body to absorb all that it's just done. Every muscle should be relaxed, including every single muscle in your face - where we hold most of our tension and stress. The mind should be clear of any thoughts, only focusing on your breath or a mantra. This pose is GREATLY aided by an eye pillow - the slight pressure it applies to the eyes, the darkness is provides, and the fragrant aromatherapy of the dried herbs in the pillow is just what is needed to fully relax into this pose. So, to calm my anxious energy - I have taken up making eye pillows...and then using them to relax! I busted out my sewing machine and the acres of fabric that I've been hording in my attic for just this occasion, and I got to work. For years I have been collecting vintage scarves and bits of fabric that I've found at thrift stores and flea markets. Also, from a sewing class in college I have a gazillion yards of the most beautiful purple silk. What I've done with the eye pillows is to do one side in the luxurious silk and the other in some fabulous fabric from a scarf or bit of soft cotton. My dad's is 1/2 camoflauge and 1/2 purple silk. My mothers is all silk, and Shawn's is all camo. The filling is simply organic Flax Seed, organic dried Peppermint and organic dried Chamomile. Others will be filled with Lavender as well. They are sassy and original and the perfect accessory for comfort and relaxation. Again, this anxious energy has been bubbling over, so I have made about 50 of these so far!! I think that I'm going to sell them on Etsy, and maybe take them around to a few yoga studios. I also have been experimenting with chic straps for yoga bags. Who knows. This could be my new calling. The person who has really fallen in love with the eye pillow is my Dad. He has been overwrought with anxiety - and with the aid of his new pillow and a breathing exercise I gave him he has been able to calm himself down to achieve some peace and serenity.



Simply learning how to take a deep, full breath can be extremely therapeutic in many situations. Deep belly breathing calms both body and mind. Deep diaphragmatic breathing also helps rid the body of gaseous chemicals and can bring as much as seven times more oxygen into the lungs as shallow breathing.


Rising and Falling Breath

Benefits: Strengthens the nervous system and calms anxiety.

How to Do It: Lie on your back with your hands resting on your abdomen. Tune in to your breath. On the inhalation, consciously expand your belly as if you were inflating a balloon. Let your breath continue rising up through your rib cage and out to the sides; you should feel the top of your lungs inflate and your collarbones rise. Begin your exhalation at the top of the lungs, so that as you release air there, your collarbones lower. As the exhalation continues-with the ribs contracting in and down-draw your abdominal muscles in and bring your belly button toward your spine. Let your exhalation be long and slow. If you are counting, try to exhale for longer than you inhale for each breath. While you breathe, keep your torso completely relaxed. Don't let the muscles in your rib cage tense or tighten as they move; simply let them expand and contract with each breath.

5 comments:

  1. Can you make them so they can be heated in the microwave?
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. they can be heated or put in the freezer. its best to use them cold, it reduces swelling around the eyes and relaxes muscles in the face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT A CAMO ONE SO BRING IT ON DOWN...VAGO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like one also. And several for friends and family. They must contain magic since you made them, so they are extra special.
    mermom

    ReplyDelete