not all who wander are lost.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanks at Thanksgiving...and every other day too.

Thanksgiving in 2005...


Everyone's been asking about my Dad, so I figure that it's time for a blog. We got some news from the doctors recently...not sure if it's good or bad. It basically went like this:
"Well Paul....after analyzing the biopsy again, we believe that the tumor MAY be sleeping. But, maybe not. We aren't entirely sure. Maybe it will wake up a week from now, or a month from now, or 5 years from now. Maybe you'll die in a few weeks, or maybe in 30 years. We really just can't be entirely sure. So....have a great holiday!! We will see you in January for an MRI, and hopefully that will tell us whats going on."

SO: my parents were celebrating. Hooray!! It's sleeping!! But the last time that they gave us good news like this, I bought a ticket to India, and then a week later they told me that he was going to die in 3 weeks. What a fucking rollercoaster!! SO I am not celebrating yet - I'm optimistic...but realistic. But christ almighty, I hope that there "maybes" are right. This tumor kills people in 6 months. My dad is a medical miracle - walking and talking and functioning {mostly} fine with this tumor in his head. Yes, I believe that the impeccable + healthy diet that my mom has him eating, along with ALL of the MANY supplements have helped. BUT, I really believe that he is alive because of prayer. I'm not religious, not sure if I really believe in God {as in father, son, holy spirit}, but I do believe in a higher power - something bigger than ourselves. I also believe in the power of love...and it's ability to move even the tallest of mountains. I have friends in India who assure me that all 20,000 Hindu dieties are praying for him. I have friends in Israel who pray for him at Temple. I have Native American friends praying to their spiritual ancestors. I have muslims and christians and atheists all sending out an intention for the same thing: my dad. It's pretty powerful shit. So, this thanksgiving I am thankful. Thankful for my Dad...for all of the wonderful days that we've had together these past 23 years, and for each day that we have after. I'm thankful for my wonderful Mama, who has dedicated this past year to one thing and one thing only: my Dad. And I am especially, overwhelmingly thankful for the hundreds of friends that have been praying...you did this, and we couldn't have done it without you.

I hope that everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving, surrounded by people that you love. And lets try to express gratitude more than once a year -- every day is blessing, every breath and every memory.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you, you have friends in Costa Rica praying for you. Love you sooooo much, Cass

    ReplyDelete