not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Broccoli + Bikram, and I'm feelin' Good...



Damn, I feel really good right now.

  1. Take a deep breath in through your nose, fill up your belly, ribs and chest.
  2. Hold the breath for a second.
  3. Exhale slowly and fully through the mouth, letting the breath touch the back of your throat.
  4. Okay...now smile.
Doesn't that feel good? Goddamn, that's how I feel right now!

I woke up early, went to yoga...and sweat, alot. I came home and got 3 burners going.

Burner #1: Steamed Broccoli.
Burner #2: Bialetti.
Burner #3: Brown Rice.

When my Bialetti was finished percolating I added a big scoop of sweetened condensed milk and let it sit and cool down. While my coffee was cooling I drained my huge head of steamed broccoli and drizzled it with some fabulous Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Then I sprinkled some salt on top, fresh ground pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper for some "pow". MMMMMM. I love broccoli. Love, love, love it....it's definitely my favorite vegetable and dressed with those simple ingredients I listed above, well..how could you go wrong? So, I was eating my broccoli, letting my coffee cool, and let the rice do it's thing. In a blender I made a super smoothie:

  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • flesh of 1/2 a coconut
  • a dozen raw almonds
  • 1 teaspoon raw Maca powder
  • 1 teaspoon raw Cacao powder
  • a lil bit of almond milk {unsweetened}
  • a lil splash of cranberry juice
  • and a couple goji berries

blend blend blend and mmmmmmmmmm, epic.

When I finished my broccoli and super smoothie, I poured my cooled coffee over lots of ice, shook it like mad, and enjoyed the most delightful Vietnamese Iced Coffee. Stripped down and jumped into the hot tub {104 degrees} and let the jets and hot water work their magic. Upstairs now, I'm listening to my iTunes on shuffle. The first song that played? Nina Simone: Feelin' Good. How appropriate. The lyrics are going to be my mantra for the day:

Birds flying high you know how I feel Sun in the sky you know how I feel Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel (refrain:) It's a new dawn It's a new day It's a new life For me And I'm feeling good Fish in the sea you know how I feel River running free you know how I feel Blossom on the tree you know how I feel (refrain) Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean Sleep in peace when day is done That's what I mean And this old world is a new world And a bold world For me Stars when you shine you know how I feel Scent of the pine you know how I feel Oh freedom is mine And I know how I feel


WIKI SAYS about Broccoli:

Broccoli is high in vitamins C, K, and A, as well as dietary fiber; it also contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties, such as diindolylmethane and small amounts of selenium.[9] A single serving provides more than 30 mg of Vitamin C and a half-cup provides 52 mg of Vitamin C.[10] The 3,3'-Diindolylmethane found in broccoli is a potent modulator of the innate immune response system with anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity.[11][12] Broccoli also contains the compound glucoraphanin, which can be processed into an anti-cancer compound sulforaphane, though the benefits of broccoli are greatly reduced if the vegetable is boiled.[7] Broccoli is also an excellent source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.[13][14] Broccoli has the highest levels of carotenoids in the brassica family.[15] It is particularly rich in lutein and also provides beta-carotene.[15]

A high intake of broccoli has been found to reduce the risk of aggressive prostate cancer.[16] Broccoli consumption has also been shown to be beneficial in the prevention of heart disease.[17]



The Moral of the Story? When you eat well and treat your body well...you feel pretty damn good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment