not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Indian Princess.




"What is life?

It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

-Crowfoot, Blackfoot Warrior + Orator


Lately I've been channeling my inner Indian Princess. I've always felt a respect for the Native American way of life: respect and honor for all living things, living off of the land...with gratitude, and when killing an animal - making use of every bit, leaving none to waste. It reminds me of my Dad. These are the morals I feel that he has always lived by. He's instilled this respect in me.

I'm obsessed with Native-American inspired jewelry and such lately as well. I just ordered a pair of 5 fringe Minnetonka knee high boots and already in my jewelry chest is a bunch of feather and beaded earrings. I was scrolling through ETSY.com today and found some really great pieces, but there were several that really stood out and were totally unique.


http://www.etsy.com/shop/KristianaRose

http://www.etsy.com/shop/laurelwells


Two Wolves - A Cherokee Parable

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
"Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied,
"The one you feed."


The Indian 10 Commandments:
Treat the Earth and all that dwell therein with respect
Remain close to the Great Spirit
Show great respect for your fellow beings
Work together for the benefit of all Mankind
Give assistance and kindness wherever needed
Do what you know to be right
Look after the well-being of Mind and Body
Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater Good
Be truthful and honest at all times
Take full responsibility for your actions


No comments:

Post a Comment