not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tiny Teachers

Such a beautiful last day in paradise!!!!!!

I didn't feel like running today, not one bit. And I remembered what Fredrik said about only doing it if I was enjoying it. But something inside me told me to run anyways. So I decided that I would just do two laps. One lap is running from Rams to Lazy Left and back (one way is 220meters, up and back is 440). As I approached two, I thought "why not go for 2 1/2" and at 2 1/2 I thought "well shit, I'm almost at three...", and so it continued until I did four laps!!! Yay me!!! I never thought that I could run, or would enjoy running, and I sure as shit didn't think a few days ago that I would be able to run four laps. Hooray!!! I rewarded myself with some fresh fruit and a cup of tea with my darling Caroline and then enjoyed some solo swim and sun time...

I am equal parts excited and sad about meeting the amazing Rosanna and Petter, and their adorable kids Teddy and Poppy. Excited, because they are totally amazing and we will be friends for years to come- and sad because I've only just met them and now have to say goodbye. We had rice and curry together for lunch today (along with my friend Samira) and then enjoyed the afternoon swimming and playing in the sand. Rosanna and her husband Petter met while living in the Middle East 18 years ago, and for the past five years have been living on their boat as they sail the world. They just gave up life at sea to settle down, and are hoping to make Sri Lanka their home. What a fascinating, interesting, family that is incredibly full of love and life. Their seven year old son Teddy taught me how to bodysurf today (lame, I know...I don't know how I've gone this long without learning). Anywho, he was swimming with a piece of styrofoam and when I asked why he explained that it's a hand plane so he can catch waves better. I asked if I could use it and he explained that a coconut husk would be better for a beginner because of the way that it treads water (as opposed to styrofoam). He walked the beach until he found me a perfect coconut husk and then proceeded to patiently teach me to bodysurf. What an a amazing child and amaZing teacher!

I enjoyed the BEST SUNSET YET from the lineup, where I had some of the best waves I've had all week. It was great to have a final surf with my buddy Joe. I'm so sad to leave all of these beautiful friends that I've made, but I'm so happy to reunite with them somewhere over the months and years to come.

Dinner was at Rani's for some kottu roti with the crew. And now, I'm packed up and headed to India...

No comments:

Post a Comment