not all who wander are lost.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Pass It On...

I was gifted a guitar from Dan (of Phnom Penh) the other day. It was such a great gift-- but it definitely was going to be a hefty addition to my already heavy load. Not to mention, I already HAD a guitar with me. I played it all evening and for two days. This afternoon, we packed our rucsac's and waited for our TukTuk driver to arrive so we could leave for Kampot. I sat on the beautiful deck, mildly stressed about what the hell I was going to do with this kind gift, the extra baggage. While we were waiting, one of the Khmer staff picked up my new gift and was completely fascinated. He was by no means a guitar player, but he could manage a few chords. He asked me a few questions about it and 'how much'. Well, my dilemma was solved!!! I gave the guitar to him-- it took 20minutes to explain this to him, that it was a gift, FREE, and when he finally realized what I was saying and that I was serious, he was grinning from ear to ear. I played him, and the whole staff (who had slowly congregated around the music and commotion) a few songs. They were an attentive audience, completely entranced by my tunes. The woman from the kitchen made me a fruit smoothie for free, and they sent us with bottles of water. When I handed over the guitar, he still had a look on his face saying "this is simply too good to be true." As we drove away in the TukTuk, I felt Damn Good....

No comments:

Post a Comment