not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the dungeon, the real world

im in the dungeon. this is what people refer to as the "real world".

a room without windows.
four walls, a small door, two desks, two computers, lots of paper, and a light...
...without a lampshade.

we have a cat though, which adds some joy to my day.

im doing design that doesn't challenge me.
working at a pace that encourages me to wander the web, dillydally and daydream.
in all the spare time i have for exploration, i have discovered:

-pandora: the greatest thing ever. ive expanded my music collection ten-fold based on their playlists and recommendations

-hotwire vs. cheaptickets : it really doesn't matter. if airfare to a certain destination is cheap, it's going to be cheap on ALL the airfare sites. right now...flying is a ripoff.

-heritagesurf.com : they NEVER have the right water temperature. the water is not 63 degrees heritage! its 53. VERY cold.

- surf cams : they take forever to load, and you just cannot tell what the waves are like by looking at them. waste of time.

-mermaids: there arent ANY quality mermaid illustrations on the web. ive searched high and low.

Finally discovery...sitting a desk is not for me. Corporate world, no thank you. I believe that I will go back to my couch-hopping, vagabond days of waitressing and playing music. Because I work to live damnit! I certainly don't live to work.

SO...I'm saving my pennies. Getting ready for another "Jersey Shore" year. I'm gonna work my ass off, making lots of money in the summer and then go to Costa Rica and play music in the winter. It's an odd existence that we live down here, but I think that I like it. And until I find another way of life that I like better, I guess that this one will have to do.

Looking forward to surfing with good company in good swell this fall...sans the shoobies.

PS: I wrote this blog while at work. Just one more thing that I do at work...besides work.....


1 comment:

  1. the real world inhibits the genius inside. it hinders the spirit and leads us down paths of greed and frustration. if we all, meaning us surfers, could just surf non-stop, we'd all be a lot more peaceful. but unfortunately, we have to sit behind uncomfortable desks, with lampshade-free lights; poorly vented cubicles, killing our eyesight via computer screens; inhaling the fumes of neon bulbs and body odor of the gross dude sitting next to your cube; all while getting paid next to nothing.

    yes, surfcams take a dreadful picture as well as an annoying amount of time to load. however, without the strathmere cam, i would go postal. sometimes i find myself watching it for so long, i forget what i was doing....

    anyone up for a trip! get me out of here!

    ReplyDelete